Re: Asynchronous shell command that leaves a background process running

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Re: Asynchronous shell command that leaves a background process running
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:51 -0000

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>>   (shell-command "nohup wrapper-script arg1 arg2 | cat &")
[...]
>> Is there a more elegant way to address this problem?

> Try this.
>
> (let ((process-connection-type nil))  ; Use a pipe instead of pty
>       (shell-command "foo bar blub &"))

Nice!  Thanks.  Shortly after posting my original article, I factored
out the new-process-group logic into a short wrapper program, so I could
just say:

  (shell-command "in-a-new-process-group wrapper-script arg1 arg2 &")

That was nicer than anything I'd yet come up with, but your solution is
even better.