repeat-complex-command too complex

From: despen
Subject: repeat-complex-command too complex
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:33:24 -0000

I  often need  to redo  query-replace, usually with slightly different
arguments.

I first do M-% aaa bbb.

Then I want to repeat the command to maybe replace xxx by bbb.

I do C-x ESC ESC (repeat-complex-command)

I then see at least 2 lines in the mini-buffer reading:

redo: (query-replace "aaa" "bbb" nil (if
 (and transient-mark-mode mark-active)
 (region-beginning))
 (if (and transient-mark-mode mark-active) (region-end)))

Why is all that ?JUNK? there.  It's not so easy to get back to
the "bbb" part and change it.

I'd really like to see something like:

redo: (query-replace "aaa" "bbb")

I tried this with emacs -q and got the same results.