Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem

From: despen
Subject: Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:41 -0000

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>>> I know I can disable tooltip mode but I don't see how to disable all
>>> the hover stuff going on.  I think it's too much for remote use.
>>
>> Indeed "all the hover stuff" is designed with the assumption of a fast
>> and low-latency access to the X server.
>>
>> I must say I do not know how to make them work acceptably on a slow
>> connection.  A poor man's solution is to turn off those features, but as
>> you say it's not always easy to do it.
>>
>> Maybe we could provide a configuration variable that just forces Emacs
>> to ignore all mouse-movement events, as it used to in Emacs-20 (IIRC).
>> It would work by telling the server not to send it mouse-movement events
>> (except within the scope of a track-mouse, of course, so that
>> mouse-drags can provide feedback as is expected nowadays).
>>

>>         Stefan
>
> That could be a good idea. Although I rarely run emacs in native X mode
> remotely over a WAN these days, preferring tramp most of the time, it is
> a pity that this feature no longer appears to work well.
>
> For the OP, one solution is to use one of the X compression protocols.
> There are a couple of variants and most are fairly easy to setup. These
> greatly reduce the amount of X protocol traffic being sent and greatly
> improve the performance. Most Linux distros come with one or two
> variants as standard packages.

I'm not the OP but I'm using ssh without -c.  The ssh man page says:

   Compression is  desirable on modem lines and  other slow connections,
   but will only slow down things on fast networks.

Ssh goes over a VPN which does compression.

I wouldn't mind having to add a dozen commands to my .emacs
but as far as I can tell, it can't be configured off.