Re: Short-circuiting keybindings?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Short-circuiting keybindings?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:35:16 -0000

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
> is there a generic way to create "short-circuiting" keybindings?  I
> mean: let's say I want "C-b" to issue a command only whenever a
> condition is met, otherwise if "C-b" is a prefix key then Emacs should
> continue listening for keystrokes and execute commands when
> appropriate.

Really, to do what you have in mind, the easiest and cleanest would be
to modify the core of emacs, in the C sources.

You could add hooks, or change the mechanisms.

Notice that there's a keyboard translations that map input codes before
any other processing.  But it's probably too early for your needs.