Re: Forcing temporary output particular window

From: Elena
Subject: Re: Forcing temporary output particular window
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:38 -0000

On 17 Nov, 21:12, WB <w.bre...@tu-bs.de> wrote:
> I'm beginning to find Emacs with ECB and friends to be one
> of my favorites for code development. Now, during a typical
> session I will for eg. compile and run projects, I will grep over
> files for whatever reason, and do many things which
> have nothing to do with actually editing the code files.
>
> Yet, obviously I will have some windows open with the code
> files I'm working on. Now, what I find very embarrassing, is
> that I cannot force Emacs to leave those windows untouched.
> Instead, generically, Emacs will overwrite 'at random' any of
> the windows that I was coding in, for its own output. This is
> what I would like to suppress.

This seems to be a very difficult thing to do in Emacs, since I've
asked a similar question here before and none of the helpful answers
could provide a bullet-proof fix.  I think `split-root' will allow you
to redirect most temporary windows (grep, help, etc.) at least.  If
you want more control, then hack `split-window-preferred-function'.

Whenever your windows configuration gets broken anyway, at least you
can restore it easily.  Have a look here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WindowConfiguration
and here http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWindows#toc5