Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS

From: Alan
Subject: Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:36:57 -0000

On Nov 21, 3:09 am, James Freer <jesseja...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm just starting to use emacs for editing and thought about using it
> for email as well. I'm a moderator for several groups and have found
> Thunderbird a bit slow. I'm hoping that a text email may be quicker. I
> tried Cone and Mutt a while ago. I need to use imap and was wondering
> if i'd be better off with emacs addons.
>
> What are folk using WL or VM? I've read the gnus pdf and i think i'd
> be better off with one of those two.
>
> As for installing:
> WL seems ok to followhttp://box.matto.nl/emacsgmail.html
>
> VM i find a little heavy! for my knowledge - is there another site
> which is easier to follow for a
> newbiehttp://www.wonderworks.com/vm/user-manual/vm_2.html#SEC5http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ViewMailAndImap
>
> thanks
> james

I'm a VM user on XEmacs.  I wasn't even aware of Wanderlust until
reading your post.

I used to use Rmail with Emacs 19.34 on a Unix machine, but then moved
to XEmacs and eventually started using VM. I now use a laptop at home
and a desktop at work, both running Windows XP (very rarely logging
into a Unix machine).  VM understands the babyl mail folder
organization that Rmail used at the time, so that was a feature that I
appreciated.  The newsgroup gnu.emacs.vm.info is moderately active and
the current VM developers are active there.  I use VM with an imap
server at work.  That was changed to use SSL and I had to resort to
using stunnel with VM to continue.  A VM feature that I find to be
quite handy is a function "vm-delete-duplicate-messages".  This allows
me to combine multiple mail folders (e.g. folder at home and folder at
work) and eliminate duplicate mail messages.

I've even converted my old CompuServe emails to a VM mail folder.
When desired I can read my Thunderbird email folders with VM.  I go
back and forth between using Thunderbird and VM with my work IMAP
server (favoring Thunderbird for emails with embedded HTML tags).  My
personal email is on a Yahoo POP server and I mostly use Thunderbird
for that.