Re: A couple of minor issues after updating to 23.2.1 on OS X

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A couple of minor issues after updating to 23.2.1 on OS X
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:51:56 -0500

> (setq initial-frame-alist
>       (append '((top . 0) (left . -100)) initial-frame-alist))

> This used to cause my initial frame to place itself with its right side
> 100 pixels to the left of the right edge of the screen.  Now it places
> itself with its /left/ side 100 pixels to the left of the /left/ side
> of the screen--that is, partially off-screen.

That would be a bug.  Please M-x report-emacs-bug.
The doc is pretty clear:

`left'
     The position, in pixels, of the left (or right) edge of the frame
     with respect to the left (or right) edge of the screen.  The value
     may be:

    an integer
          A positive integer relates the left edge of the frame to the
          left edge of the screen.  A negative integer relates the
          right frame edge to the right screen edge.

Note that you may want to try

  (setq initial-frame-alist
        (append '((top . 0) (left . (- 100))) initial-frame-alist))

To see if it works around this bug.

> Second, I use the color-theme package with the "zenburn" theme, and the
> white cursor now completely obscures any white text behind it, rather
> than showing it in the background color.  Only by turning on
> blink-cursor-mode can I see the hidden text, and then only half the
> time.

> Can anyone suggest any way to address these two issues?

Same for the second as for the first.  BTW, in your bug-report do
mention which was the previous release you used where you did not see
the problem (e.g. 23.1 or 22.3).

        Stefan