Re: List of all functions (recursively) called by a function?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: List of all functions (recursively) called by a function?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 07:13:14 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 30, 1:34 pm, "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com>
wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > is there a way to get the list of all functions (recursively) called
> > by a function?
>
> Probably.  I don't know if there is already a tool to build the call
> graph for emacs lisp, but these tools exist for various languages
> including lisps.

I can't find any.  However, there are dependencies checkers for
packages.  I guess their code can be adapted.  I'll give that a try.

> > Once a while, my Emacs hangs.  It usually happens when interacting
> > with the file-system.  I've tried isolating the function which causes
> > the hang, by means of  `keyboard-quit' after having set `debug-on-
> > error' to true, but without success, since `keyboard-quit' does not
> > break the hang.  Therefore, I've been thinking about running a
> > profiler on functions during which the hang happens.  One of these
> > functions is `ido-find-file'.  The profiling package "elp" has
> > correctly identified this function as spending a lot of time.  Now,
> > I'd like to profile all functions called by `ido-find-file' to catch
> > the misbehaving one.
>
> > Any pointers?  Thanks.
>
> You would need a debugger such
> as:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3897010229726822034#
> Perhaps you'd be interested in writing one for emacs lisp?

I cannot check out that video now, thus I cannot answer here.

However, if everything else fails, I think I'll help the mantainer of
Emacs Native Profiler to port his efforts to Windows.