Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:13:05 -0600

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 3, 2:34 am, des...@verizon.net wrote:
>> I've been earning a living programming since 1964.
>>
>> If I was told that I had to use a specific IDE, I'd quit.
>>
>> A programmable editor makes 10x more sense to me than some
>> other developers idea of what I need to develop software.
>
> After 40+ years spent programming, I'd bet you know your way around
> your editor of choice.

I'm sure his editor of choice has changed quite a bit in 40+ years,
particularly since Emacs hasn't been around for that long.  But given
his experience, his opinion (which he clearly states as such) should
certainly be listened to, whether or not you end up agreeing with them.
(For the record, I agree with him.)

> Should we spend the same amount of time with Emacs to be able to
> develop software with it?

I don't know why you're asking, since it has nothing to do with the
previous comments.  But if you want an answer: No.  The amount of time
you spend with any editor shouldn't be longer than the amount of time
the editor has existed.