Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander

From: José A . Romero L .
Subject: Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 12:56:14 -0800 (PST)

On 4 Gru, 15:47, Haines Brown <hai...@HistoricalMaterialism.info>
wrote:
(...)
> tramp-default-method "ssh"), but some years ago when I had a problem
> with a different host, I prepended each address with "ftp." and appended
> the specific directory. Since it worked I carried that policy to other
> hosts without much thought. My addresses look like this:
>
>   "/accountn...@ftp.host.com:/www"
>
> If I replace "ftp." with either "ftp:" or "scp.", I can't log into the
> remote host.

Seems that you were lucky enough that both addresses "host.com" and
"ftp.host.com" existed and resolved to the same IP. In tramp syntax
the method is written immediately after the first slash and from the
rest of the string is separated by an additional colon, like this:

    /ftp:account...@ftp.host.com:/www

if you don't use explicitely any method, then the value of the
tramp-default-method variable is used.

>   tramp-error(["ssh" "histo019" "ssh" "HistoricalMaterialism.info:/www"]
>     file-error "Process died")
(...)

This looks like still another issue with your system: the SSH client
dies unexpectedly during a session with the HistoricalMaterialism
host. Have a look at your openssh-client package. Maybe you could try
re-installing it.

(...)
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (ftp-error #("FTP Error: DIR failed: 550
>       /www/index.html#/: No such file or directory" 23 71 (fontified nil
>       front-sticky (field inhibit-line-move-field-capture)
>       rear-nonsticky t field output inhibit-line-move-field-capture t)))
>     signal(ftp-error (#("FTP Error: DIR failed: 550 /www/index.html#/:
>       No such file or directory" 23 71 (fontified nil front-sticky
>       ... rear-nonsticky t field output inhibit-line-move-field-capture
>       t)))) byte-code("\301 @ A\"\207" [err signal] 3)
(...)

Now, this is a real treasure! This is exactly what I needed to locate
the bug that was pestering you. I hadn't found it before because it
did not manifest when using the AVFS support (transparent navigation
inside compressed archives) but after seeing that "/www/index.html#/"
everything became clear. Can you please check if the latest version
(4R344) works OK for you now?  Thank you *very much* for reporting
this, it did help a lot.

(...)
> all the confusion, who knows? When I fail to save a changed remote file,
> there is no debug message, but in minibuffer is says "wrong type
> argument: arrayp, nil".

This is one I still haven't been able to reproduce. Don't you receive
any stack trace at all, even after doing M-x toggle-debug-on-error?

(...)
> That may be why I'm getting these inconsistent results. Right now I
> happen to be using scp as tramp-default-method. Does the address of the
> remote host (currently "ftp.") have to reflect this setting, or does it
> overide it, or is it irrelevant? Sorry to have raised such a fluid

It's irrelevant, or at least not directly related.

> problem. At this point, the only thing not working is editing and saving
> a file on the remote host in Sunrise-Commander in the manner I can do it
> dired.

With your help it will ;-)

Cheers,
--