Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 03:31:59 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 11:14 am, Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > IDE users, OTOH, can just get along with what their IDE provides them.
>
> > Only for the most trivial of tasks.
>
> Well, if Emacs packages can't manage to accomplish such tasks in a
> straightforward manner, then I would say such tasks are not trivial at
> all.

Maybe I should have asked about what tasks you consider to be trivial
first.  What are they?

Project-aware and context-aware code completion, building projects
along with their dependencies, multiple build configurations (with
dependencies), debugging while watching variables in real-time...
everything with one keystroke, do not seem trivial tasks to me.  If
you were talking about power editing capabilities and searching
facilities, code pretty-printing, etc. plugins do exist to accomplish
these.  That's why I've said that if people say Emacs can match an IDE
don't know what an IDE is.