Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 20:40:31 +0900

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>> But I don't think I'm doing that.  You used the term "rookie" for some
>> reason (I don't know why), but most of the people I'm thinking of are
>> really sort of in the middle -- they've certainly used VS for many years.
>
> Years of usage do not equal years of experience.

I mean "years of using VS to do serious programming on large projects."

>> > IDE users, OTOH, can just get along with what their IDE provides them.
>>
>> Only for the most trivial of tasks.
>
> Well, if Emacs packages can't manage to accomplish such tasks in a
> straightforward manner, then I would say such tasks are not trivial at
> all.

I've no idea what you're saying here.  I said nothing about Emacs.

I'm saying that programming, by and large is mostly concerned with tasks
that are fairly hard to automate, and that while IDEs may be able to
help around the periphery, in the end, they do not really make the bulk
of the task much easier.

That doesn't make them _worthless_, but it does mean that it's misguided
to place _too_ much emphasis on them.

-Miles

--
Circus, n. A place where horses, ponies and elephants are permitted to see
men, women and children acting the fool.