Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: rustom
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:52:51 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 10:33 pm, Richard Riley <rile...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> But as a
> programming editor I suspect its losing ground more and more - certainly
> where it comes to python, java and mixed mode programming
> (php/html/etc) and it strikes me that fewer and fewer people are using
> gud/gdb despite it being a very powerful solution.

I am sad to hear this... Especially since it is a truth increasingly
hard to avoid.
I guess I belong to the '20 years camp'

(from the link posted above)
> I have used emacs for 20 years, the keybindings are in my nerve cells, it
> would be like
> major surgery for me to stop using it.

And I often find myself wondering if the 'surgery' needed to go from
emacs to eclipse is in fact the least painful way for me to go in the
long run.

If it is infact true that emacs is losing ground as a programming
editor then its a severe case of Lehman/Beladys 7th law (The quality
of software systems will inherently decline with time unless they are
rigorously maintained)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehman%27s_laws_of_software_evolution