Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:52:04 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 7, 1:07 pm, Helmut Eller <eller.hel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That the IDE forces me to use a particular editor isn't exactly an
>> efficiency booster.  Those tools could technically just as well
>> communicate with Emacs or VI instead of being "integrated" with a single
>> editor of a particular IDE.
>
> Agreed.  That's the downside of using IDEs.  Their tools are tightly
> integrated such that  their advanced features are not available
> outside of the IDE.
>
> I agree that IDEs do not get everything right.  However, they provide
> a time-tested work-flow.

I never found an IDE that got anything right.  What has been time
tested, is their total inadequacy for anything beyond toys and school
examples.

> Fixes for the lousy editors integrated into IDEs are easy to develop

That's the main drawback of IDEs: you cannot change their components
(well nowdays you could use an open source IDE, but changing a component
will probably be more work than customizing emacs, if for the only
reason that the IDE is not written in lisp).