Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 04:58:44 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 1:40 pm, Torsten Mueller <dev-n...@shared-files.de> wrote:
> > The issue is that IDEs are a productivity booster,
>
> They can also be the opposite. My MSVC can let me wait for ten minutes
> doing something I don't know in background. Even terminating the
> application can take five, six, seven minutes. I don't know what this
> damned thing does.

I prefer the tool spending time performing even stupid tasks than me
spending time performing tasks which can be automated.  As soon as I
hit the compile button, I switch to Firefox and continue reading some
interesting article.

No matter how dumb and slow they can appear, I manage to get things
done faster by using IDEs than by using basic tools.  It could just be
that I happen to develop in different languages and having to figure
out every time how to setup project management, code completion,
debugging, etc. every time would be an hassle.  I very much prefer
fixing the lousy IDE editor by means of an external plugin.

See, Torsten, I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should be
smarter about our basic tools and know them inside-out, but I think
this has become a luxury in a commercial setting.  I spend time
learning more about Emacs and about other flexible tools (Make, etc.),
but as soon as I have to churn out code, I reach for an IDE.

> I do not speak against IDEs. I speak against the overkill of senseless
> features.

Agreed.

> MSVC has had it's summit with Version 6.

Agreed.