RE: problem opening files in dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: problem opening files in dired
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 09:16:16 -0800

> > I am trying to switch from XEmacs to Emacs. When I try to
> > open a file in dired or a buffer in the buffer menu, I get a message
> > saying "Buffer is read-only" and it doesn't open. When I run Emacs remotely
> > from home on the same machine, I do not have this problem. Any clues
> > about what might be going on? I am using Emacs 23 on Red Hat. Thanks.
>
> start emacs with -Q, and see if this still happens. If not, that means
> something in your .emacs.

And that something tries to modify the current buffer (in this case Dired).
Look, e.g., for something that gets added to `post-command-hook' somewhere.

In any case, Xah's advice is the best way to start.  Once you know the problem
comes from something you're doing (e.g. code you're loading, things you're
activating), bisect your .emacs repeatedly (binary search) until you narrow down
the culprit.