Re: ediff problem

From: Antoine Tollenaere
Subject: Re: ediff problem
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:26:22 -0000

Hello Bill,

Bill <bsagert@gmail.com> writes:
> I use emacs 23.1 on a windows xp box. No matter what ediff method I
> use (M-x ediff-buffers or the menu bar "Tools | Compare" etc) to
> compare buffers (or files) I get the message "Searching for program:
> no such file or directory, diff".

Ediff relies on 'diff', the Unix program to compare text files. Windows
does not install such a program, but diff comes along with all Posix
environment for Windows including Cygwin, Microsoft SFU and
MKS. Installing one of them will solve your problem (Cygwin is the best
choice in my opinion). You may have to add the bin directory (for
instance c:\cygwin\bin) to you PATH environment variable and log you off
and on again in order for Emacs to find it.

Best regards,
Antoine.