how to set default font and size

From: Azeem J Khan
Subject: how to set default font and size
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:34 -0000

Hello,
   I am using Emacs on Mandriva 2010.0. I mostly work with latex
documents on emacs (using auctex as well). I would like emacs to start
up and show me all tex files in a particular size and style by
default. Say courier 18 bold. How do I go about doing that?
  Clicking and selecting save settings do not seem to work. I restart
emacs later on and the file comes up with smaller size font etc.

Thank you.

Azeem Khan,
Bombay, India