Search and replace in a macro between emacs session

From: Jobst Schmalenbach
Subject: Search and replace in a macro between emacs session
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:26 -0000

Hi.

I need to replace $PHP_SELF with $_SESSION['PHP_SELF'].
Problem is that in some cases it needs to be ".$_SESSION['PHP_SELF'].", in others $_SESSION['PHP_SELF']. This is across a variety of files, directories.

Reason for all of this is the move from 5.1 to 5.3 php. So I have some
other "things" that need to be changed as well , and I would like to use different macros, but with a query-replace or query-replace-regexp.

I tried to write a keyboard macro and/or bind this to a key and load this in the .emacs file using query-replace ....

Now I did some reading and figured out that the macro seems to stop after the search, I followed some of the suggestion, e.g. use of C-x-q etc, but it stops.

How can I do this?

I guess I could save the minibuffer between session and then call m-% and scroll to the correct substitution but there has to be a better way?

Jobst