Mailing List Problems and Status

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:10:38 -0700

Problem: The mailing list has been flooded with hundreds of old messages.

Reason: Apparently a mail server (which I won't name but you can look
at the messages and figure it out) had been configured as a mail
gateway.  Apparently it hasn't been delivering those messages but has
been saving them up.  Or perhaps a backup was recently restored.  I do
not have that information.  But in any case that has today has dumped
40,000+ messages for many different mailing lists including this one
into the lists.gnu.org machine.

The huge influx of mail has caused normal operations of new mail to be
very slow.  Normal correspondence has significantly delayed.

The help-gnu-emacs and info-gnus-english lists have been hit the
hardest with hundreds of messages in the queue for delivery.

At this point I don't think there is anything to be done except to
wait for the queues to drain.  After the queues drain then things
should return to normal

Bob
With mailing list moderator, spam fighter and listhelper hat on.