Re: line-move-visual

From: Mark Crispin
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:10 -0000

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Thad Floryan posted:
This is OT so I'll keep it short.  Similar braindamage recently with
Fedora where a developer stated "I don't particularly care how UNIX
has always worked."

Wow.

I've dealt with broken "improvements" in RedHat/Fedora before; they don't seem to have a very good review process for functionality changes. The two that I remember the most are making flock() return ENOLCK for an NFS file (instead of no-op) and getaddrinfo() doing a reverse DNS lookup for the ai_canonname return value. In both cases, the developer insisted that the change was a "fix", never mind all the applications that were broken by it. Eventually, both of these changes were reverted after a huge hue and cry.

This one takes the cake.

I don't know which amazes me more, the fact that such an ill-conceived change was made in the first place, or the developer's reaction when called to account.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc