Re: Alternatives to Gnus

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Gnus
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:27:03 -0000

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>> Mew also supports reading news, but I've never used it for that.
>>

> I took a quick look at its documentation and I haven't seen any news
> reading support.
>
> Is it well supported in Mew or is it something like using gnus for
> emails ?

In my use of Mew I found only a passing mention to nntp in a random
section of the reference manual, but no documentation as to how to
actually read news with it or any claim that it did so.

As for how "well supported" it is, that will depend on your definition.
There's a mailing list but it gets very little traffic, and I've seen
some questions/comments go unanswered by the maintainer for two or three
weeks.  That said, the manual on the Mew site is great, gives you all
the information you need in one place and the software will take about
fifteen minutes to set up.

Mew ultimately didn't meet my needs, and without news it sounds like it
won't meet yours, but it's something to at least ponder.

Jeff

--
web:  http://www.chaosphere.com
Author of Genesys, a Free Universal Paper and Pencil RPG.