Re: Need help setting up RMAIL

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: Need help setting up RMAIL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:29:10 -0000

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Peter Axon wrote:

> Duke Normandin <dukeofperl@ml1.net> writes:
>
> > I hope there are folks still using RMAIL! ;)
>
> I use RMAIL all the time and love it :)
>
> > I have RMAIL installed and running.
> > I have GNU mailutils, including `GNU movemail'
> > movemail from the CLI connects to my IMAP provider and loads up
> > ~/RMAIL.
> >
> > However, I can't get movemail to play nice when RMAIL starts or when
> > I do a "g" from RMAIL.
>
> Are you on a *nix system? What is your exact setup? i.e. are you getting
> mail from your server into your spool file and then using movemail to
> get it into the ~/RMAIL file?

Yes, I'm on a *nix system - Xubuntu. the relevant portions of my
.emacs are:

'(mail-default-headers "User-Agent: RMAIL; GNU Mailutils 2.1; GNU
Emacs 23.1")
 '(mail-default-reply-to "dukeofperl@ml1.net")
 '(mail-envelope-from "dukeofperl@ml1.net")
 '(mail-specify-envelope-from t)
 '(mail-yank-prefix "> ")
 '(rmail-file-name "~/RMAIL")
 '(rmail-highlighted-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^User-Agent")
 '(rmail-ignored-headers

"^X.*\\|Received.*\\|Status.*\\|Return-Path\\|Message-Id\\|Organization\\|^MIME.*\\|Content\\|References\\|Precedence\\|Lines\\|In-Reply-To\\|Sender\\|Priority\\|Encoding")

 '(rmail-movemail-program "/usr/bin/movemail")
 '(rmail-preserve-inbox t)
 '(rmail-primary-inbox-list (quote
 ("imap://dukeofperl%40ml1.net:my_password@mail.messagingengine.com")))

I _gleaned_ the above from the Web and some email correspondence. I
assume that the above setup means that RMAIL will execute `movemail'
with the "imap:blah_blah" line, _and_ pass `rmail-file-name' for
`movemail's 2nd argument. To date, there has been no evidence that my
/var/mail/username file has been written to by `movemail'.

When I fire up RMAIL, or do a "g" from RMAIL, my router LEDs get some
exercise :), but _nothing_ ever gets written to file.

> I know you are using IMAP but my setup works like this:
>  - I use fetchmail to download from POP to my mail spool (/var/mail/me)
>  - I start emacs, do M-x rmail and it pulls in whatever is in the spool
>    file automatically.

As an interim work-around, I've got an alias set up that executes
`movemail' to fetch mail. No probs!

So how are you using "fetchmail" as the value for
`rmail-movemail-program'? What are your file perms like? Maybe I'm
running RMAIL with the wrong Group/perms, and ditto for `movemail'?
--
Duke