Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:47:20 -0500

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

>> When I log in to a remote host, Sunrise Commander displays its base
>> directory ("www").
>
> What Tramp method are you using? In other words, what string are you
> using to access the remote host? (e.g. "/ssh:host.com:/some/dir/")

I did not mean to imply that my entering the "www" directory was a
problem, but you do bring up a point. In the init file I specify (setq
tramp-default-method "ssh"), but some years ago when I had a problem
with a different host, I prepended each address with "ftp." and appended
the specific directory. Since it worked I carried that policy to other
hosts without much thought. My addresses look like this:

  "/accountname@ftp.host.com:/www"

If I replace "ftp." with either "ftp:" or "scp.", I can't log into the
remote host.

  tramp-error(["ssh" "histo019" "ssh" "HistoricalMaterialism.info:/www"]
    file-error "Process died")
  apply(tramp-error ["ssh" "histo019" "ssh"
    "HistoricalMaterialism.info:/www"] file-error "Process died" nil)
  byte-code("\304\216\305\306  \n%)\207" [vec-or-proc signal
    fmt-string args ((byte-code "\203-\304...
    [vec-or-proc tramp-verbose enable-recursive-minibuffers buffer zerop
    t pop-to-buffer bufferp processp process-buffer tramp-get-buffer
    sit-for 30] 3)) apply tramp-error] 6)
  tramp-process-actions(#<process *tramp/ssh histo019@ssh*> ["ssh"
    "histo019" "ssh" "HistoricalMaterialism.info:/www"]
    ((tramp-login-prompt-regexp tramp-action-login)
    (tramp-password-prompt-regexp tramp-action-password)
    (tramp-wrong-passwd-regexp tramp-action-permission-denied)

The password hasn't changed, and so I guess the uid has been changed by
replacing the period with colon.

Now, in playing with all this, I managed to fix my problem in part. As
best I can make out, I'm back to my original configuration, but I can
now open remote directories while in Sunrise-commander mode. I also find
that I can now copy a file into a remote directory when in that mode,
which is my main goal.

>> I can open a file in that directory for editing, but can't save the
>> changes. I get the error: "Wrong type argument: arrayp,nil". This is
>> repeatable. When I proceed close the file without saving, something odd
> (...)
>
> I don't think this is related to Sunrise - more to Tramp. Try doing
> M-x toggle-debug-on-error before trying to save. Does that display
> some meaningful error trace?

When I toggle from Sunrise-Commander to dired mode, I can open, edit and
save a remote file. When I toggle back to Sunrise-Commander and access
the remote host, I cannot open the remote file for editing:

  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (ftp-error #("FTP Error: DIR failed: 550
      /www/index.html#/: No such file or directory" 23 71 (fontified nil
      front-sticky (field inhibit-line-move-field-capture)
      rear-nonsticky t field output inhibit-line-move-field-capture t)))
    signal(ftp-error (#("FTP Error: DIR failed: 550 /www/index.html#/:
      No such file or directory" 23 71 (fontified nil front-sticky
      ... rear-nonsticky t field output inhibit-line-move-field-capture
      t)))) byte-code("\301@A\"\207" [err signal] 3)

No idea what this means. Also, the problem subsequently is not opening
the file, but saving editorial changes to it. I don't believe this
inconsistency correlates with petting changes in emacs init file, but in
all the confusion, who knows? When I fail to save a changed remote file,
there is no debug message, but in minibuffer is says "wrong type
argument: arrayp, nil".

>> If I try to copy a file to that remote host base directory by issuing
>> the M-C command, instead of Sunrise Commander providing by default the
>> name of the opposite pane (the remove host directory) to which I wish to
>> copy, it picks some local buffer. If I type in the address of the remote
>> host, I'm prompted for the password to access it.
>
> That's probably normal Tramp behavior. From the Tramp manual:
>
>     External methods should be configured such a way that they don't
>     require a password (with ssh-agent, or such alike). Modern scp
>     implementations offer options to reuse existing ssh connections,
>     see method scpc. If it isn't possible, you should consider
>     Password handling, otherwise you will be prompted for a password
>     every copy action.
>     (http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/)

Again, I can't reproduce the problem, for I can now copy a file to the
remote host when in Sunrise-Commander mode. However, I'm in scp mode,
and maybe that's the reason.

> Maybe you're trying to access the same host using different Tramp
> methods and are getting confused by inconsistent behavior? Different
> Tramp methods can behave in surprisingly different ways, sometimes.
> For instance, /ftp: is a completely different beast than /scp: or
> /ssh:

That may be why I'm getting these inconsistent results. Right now I
happen to be using scp as tramp-default-method. Does the address of the
remote host (currently "ftp.") have to reflect this setting, or does it
overide it, or is it irrelevant? Sorry to have raised such a fluid
problem. At this point, the only thing not working is editing and saving
a file on the remote host in Sunrise-Commander in the manner I can do it
dired.

Haines