Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: Using tramp with sunrise-commander
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 23:31:21 -0500

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 6, 14:44, Haines Brown <hai...@HistoricalMaterialism.info>
> wrote:
> (...)
>> Only one little problem. How do I kill the popup frame from the
>> keyboard (mouse works ok). Repeated C-x k simply takes me through a
>> history of
> (...)
>
> The function is "delete-frame", and it's bound to C-x 5 0. You can:
>
> 1) simply get used to C-x 5 0,
>
> 2) write something like this:
>
>     (defun hb/smart-close ()
>       (interactive)
>       (if (cdr (frame-list))
>           (delete-frame)
>         (save-buffers-kill-emacs)))
>
> and bind it to C-x C-c, or

Aha! Thanks. Not knowing any LISP, I assume the last would involve a
line such as:

     (global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-c") 'smart-close)

which I suppose should precede the above lines. I'll give it a try, but
I'm nervous without a bit of reassurance.

>> Another problem, perhaps related to the first. If I visit a remote
>> host with tramp, and then seek to exit the tramp ftp connection by
>> closing the buffer displaying the remote host, this no longer works.

> Actually, the only way to effectively kill the FTP session in Emacs is
> by calling the ange-ftp-kill-ftp-process function (maybe also by
> killing the *ftp* buffer), for sure not by killing a dired / sunrise
> buffer. C-x k is now bound in Sunrise to sr-quit, so it deactivates
> both panes. If you really want to kill that buffer, just change its
> directory somewhere else (e.g. by pressing: j ~ [RET], or: 1 M-o).

Understood. For some reason I inherit a fear of leaving an FTP
connection open unused. What you are saying is, don't worry about it. I
won't. Again, thank you very much.

Haines Brown