Re: split buffers

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: split buffers
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:54 -0000

TheFlyingDutchman <zzbbaadd@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2:31?pm, Peter Keller <psil...@cs.wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm new to emacs, but have been using it for a while to write Lisp.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> In vim, one can have a tab that is split. When one moves from that tab
>> to another, both portions of the split tab are replaced by the whole
>> of the next tab (which in and of itself could be split 0-N times).
>>
>> In emacs, if I split the buffer with C-x 2, I can only change the
>> exact buffer I'm in with C-x C-<right arrow> and such.
>>
>> Is there a way to mimic the split tab behavior in vim with emacs buffers?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> -pete
>
> If I understand correctly, you need to use frames. You can create new
> frames from the menu (Menu-Bar->File->New Frame) or "C-x 5 2". Then
> you can split those frames into multiple windows. To move between
> frames you use (Menu-Bar->Buffers->Frames-><frame to switch to>).
> There is likely a way to move between frames with the keyboard (or
> create the capability) but I don't know what it is.

I tried out your suggesstion and it is close, but not quite.

The thing about making a new frame is that A) it makes a completely
new window and B) it didn't honor my font choices from the original
one. Also the main problem with it is that I want the exact appearance
and feature set of changing a single buffer in a single physical
window, but instead they'd be frames. I don't want multiple physical
windows.

I'm happy doing vulcan deathgrip chords in order to change just
the buffer in a frame, versus the whole frame full of buffers to
another frame with different buffers, but I need it all to exist in
one physical window.

Thank you.

-pete