Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber

From: Udyant Wig
Subject: Re: IM chatting via emacs+jabber
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:20:09 -0000

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a crazy idea, given that I love to write from emacs, it would be
> great also to chat with people using that.
>
> I use adium for many protocols, and both adium and emacs support jabber
> (don't know how it is though).  I remember there was a way to create a
> jabber server that bridges to other protocols.  And if I'm able to do
> that I could connect from emacs to the jabber server!
>
> Is that a stupid idea or someone is maybe doing it?

As Gary mentioned, http://emacs-jabber.sourceforge.net, should be all
you need to use jabber inside Emacs and connect to multiple protocols.

Check out the EmacsWiki page on jabber as well.

Whichever XMPP server you use, make sure it supports the transports you
want.

I use jabber.el to connect to Google Talk and Yahoo! via a jabber server
in Emacs.