Re: emacs documentation: what's active voice, passive voice?

From: Russ P.
Subject: Re: emacs documentation: what's active voice, passive voice?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:30:47 -0000

On Oct 3, 4:14 am, Uday Reddy <uDOTsDOTre...@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 10/3/2010 4:06 AM, Xah Lee wrote:
>
> > The Language Log recently has a blog asking readers to identify
> > passive/active voice. (Apparantly, they've been beating this horse for
> > a while, but i only started to read Language Log last month.) Before i
> > tackle the question and post my redoubtable comment with implicit
> > offense at grammarians, i thought to myself: it's been some 17 years
> > when i read anything technical about passive/active voice in Struck&
> > White... so let me look into Wikipedia to refresh myself just so i
> > won't come out a fool.
>
> Gosh, for a while there, I thought Emacs had begun to complain about passive
> voice.  Heaven forbid!
>

> >      * 〈50 Years of Stupid Grammar Advice〉 (2009-04-17) By Geoffrey K
> > Pullum. The Chronicle of Higher Education 55 (32): B15. chronicle.com
>
> > Quote:
>
> >      The Elements of Style does not deserve the enormous esteem in
> > which it is held by American college graduates. Its advice ranges from
> > limp platitudes to inconsistent nonsense. Its enormous influence has
> > not improved American students' grasp of English grammar; it has
> > significantly degraded it.

> >      What concerns me is that the bias against the passive is being
> > retailed by a pair of authors so grammatically clueless that they
> > don't know what is a passive construction and what isn't. Of the four
> > pairs of examples offered to show readers what to avoid and how to
> > correct it, a staggering three out of the four are mistaken diagnoses.
> > “At dawn the crowing of a rooster could be heard” is correctly
> > identified as a passive clause, but the other three are all
> > errors: ...
>
> Pretty damning — or it would be if Strunk and White had actually claimed any
> of those were passive constructions. They don’t. Here’s how they introduce
> these examples: “Many a tame sentence of description or exposition can be
> made lively and emphatic by substituting a transitive in the active voice for
> some such perfunctory expression as there is, or could be heard.” (My link is
> to the online text of the Strunk-only 1918 edition, but the passage is
> unchanged in later editions.)
>
> Now, Strunk and White themselves use the passive voice in that sentence, so
> one might say they are violating their own rules (though they’re not — they
> don’t say the passive may never be used, only that active constructions tend
> to be more forceful). But they don’t claim that their examples are all in the
> passive voice. Excessive deployment of the passive is only one of the
> weaknesses they discuss in this section. Their point is not only to urge the
> use of the active voice but to encourage the use of “active” transitive verbs
> rather than limp declarations of being. It’s sound advice: “dead leaves
> covered the ground” really is more forceful and better than “there were a
> great number of dead leaves lying on the ground.”

> [...]

For technical writing, I favor active voice where appropriate, but in
some cases I think passive voice is preferable. Consider, for example,
"The parameters were perturbed, and the test was run again." I could
rewrite that in active voice as "We varied the parameters and ran the
test again." But what if there is no "we", only "I"? Then I would have
to write "I varied the parameters and ran the test again." That just
doesn't strike me as good style for a technical paper. The point is
not who did it but that it was done. What difference would it make if
a monkey did it, as long as he did it right?

Russ P.