Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:15:07 +0100

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>> Nowadays, every code monkey using an IDE will draw circles
>> around you while you fight to develop software by using Emacs.
>
> This seems unlikely.  There are certainly situations where typical IDE
> features are useful, but I've not observed any real difference in
> productivity between those who use them and those who don't (we've got
> both types here).  The difference seems largely on the level of "emacs
> vs vi":  people are most productive using tools and processes they're
> used to; the actual details are less important.
>
> -Miles

Complex third party code libraries being common place things like
context help, parameter expansion, code completion and at a click
example code are pretty much a must have. Having these things is a huge
boost for many people. It would be a pretty hardened developer who could
program Java, for example, in emacs having experience the helper
facilities in Eclipse (which is a monster it has to be said ;)).