Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:31:11 +0100

>> Programming is heavily concerned by drudge tasks, unless someone has
>> come up with ways to automate them.
>
> Your world of programming then is very different from mine.
>
> I've only worked on Free Software projects (some of them linked to
> academic research, others not), so maybe I'm biased or blind, but really
> if the amount of "drudge tasks" is so high, it would seem to me that you
> probably have a real problem elsewhere which would be better solved by
> eliminating those tasks completely rather then by automating them
> via IDEs.
>
>         Stefan

The features in IDEs are generally there for a reason. So clearly people
do need them. Things like completions, context help, project dependency
handling, task management etc are all samples of what are "better at
hand" inside the main coding environment. Emacs does a lot well, but
things like completion, code navigation, context help etc it is
poor. That said it makes up for it in otherways e.g org-mode is a super
development aid.

cheers

r.