Re: Basic Emacs Config File

From: Elena
Subject: Re: Basic Emacs Config File
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 01:45:57 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 8, 7:53 pm, cristianluca <cristianluca...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Please can anyone point me to a basic emacs config file, I want to start
> learning to configurate my emacs but I get all sorts of errors when I try to
> edit .emacs. My file will have a couple of key bindings and color theme.
> --
> context:http://old.nabble.com/Basic-Emacs-Config-File-tp30409161p30409161.html

Two tricks I use to keep my .emacs in check, since I'm refactoring it
all the time, are:
- always start emacs.exe (runemacs.exe on Windows) with "--debug-init"
option;
- instead of writing comments about the different sections of .emacs,
use the "message" function; this way if something breaks, "C-h e" will
take you to *Messages* buffer, where you can have a clue about
where .emacs broke.

Moreover, before saving .emacs, use "C-x C-e" to check every setting
you are writing into it to ensure such setting works.