Fwd: Emacs and email (again)

From: James Freer
Subject: Fwd: Emacs and email (again)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:42:57 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James Freer <jessejazza@googlemail.com>
Date: 10 December 2010 11:40
Subject: Re: Emacs and email (again)
To: Stephen Bunn <scbunn@sbunn.org>

On 10 December 2010 02:09, Stephen Bunn
>   I know this has been discussed to death and everybody has their own
> opinion, however, some of the information on the list is really old.  I have
> been using an external mail reader for some time (thunderbird, claws, etc)
> * Support for IMAP/Gmail (including domains attached to gmail)
a]> * Fast and Stable
b]> * Ability to setup multiple accounts (with the smarts to know if I'm
> replying from one address to use a specific SMTP server)
c]> * Threaded views

d]> So I've quickly looked at GNUS, WL, and VM. All of them seem very complex to
e]> which package should I be spending my time learning?

Hi Stephen

I have just been thinking along the same lines d] e]. I currently use
gmail and ItsAllText for replying to emails. This i find quite fast
and efficient. I am a long time Wordstar user but more recently i've
got fed up with using a console editor - my text editing is for
magazine column writing (not coding) and so a graphical editor is much
more appropriate. I've tried to get on with emacs and vi but struggle.
Neither compare with wordstar for speed. But then again vim wordwrap
is poor and emacs is a large app and slow with it. The emacs clones
are console and not graphical which is again a negative for me.

Anyway back to the point of reading emails... with emacs i gave up!
Too complicated for me. Thunderbird and claws too slow on imap.
Sylpheed (much better than claws) or Cone may be to your liking a] b]
c](not cone). Mutt is something you may like to try but it takes a
good while to set up.

What have i done... just stayed as before! What i wanted particularly
was to print emails to pdf )important ones like from a legal dispute i
had - for archiving) which i couldn't do in gmail however they have
changed this now (one cancels the conversations in setup, print out
the emails and then setup conversations again). Offlineimap is a route
that may be worth considering and has an excellent pdf doc with it.
Thing is with gmail it is hard to beat unless one particularly wants
to use an email client.

Perhaps not helping much but i've been there... as it were. I spent a
week fiddling around with email clients and Mutt and it simply wasn't
worth the time.

I'd like a perfect editor! - like a graphical emacs clone or a
graphical wordstar clone but there isn't one.

james