Re: diff-mode

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: diff-mode
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:45:32 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 14, 10:11 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> That's not true.  Usability is quite high on the developers' agenda.
>> If you report usability problems as bugs, they will be handled.
>
> I do not doubt it.  They just can't understand such issues however.
> It's not their faults.  They are geeks, just like me and - I think -
> you.  If we were them, we couldn't do any better.
>
> Newbies flock to other editors because newbies find such editors
> easier to use.  Geeks know such editors just seem easier, or are
> easier just in the short run, and shrug their shoulders.
>
>> > I applaud your effort to use Emacs for diffs.  I gave up very quickly
>> > and to this day I still stick to WinMerge.
>>
>> Feel free to use LoseMerge, Ediff beats it any time with both hands
>> behind its back.  You gave up too quickly.
>
> I don't doubt it.  However, as many things Emacs, its interface seems
> foreign.  I couldn't find a way to compare directories and have a
> summary of changed files, from which navigate to such files.  If
> someone could post a video about how to accomplish such a task with
> Emacs...

Similarly with dired. The thing is that I generally find that at first I
hate why certain things are. It's only later that you realise, as you
become familiar with a tool, why its like that. And invariably there is
a good reason. This happens all the time in Emacs. Unfortunately I
believe thats the wrong way to build SW if you have any interest in
attracting new users : better, in that case, to default for "nOOb
morons" (and I include myself in that ;)) and let the power users
customise as they see fit. The reluctance to CUA by default would be one
such an example or the reluctance to turn on the X clipboard by
default. At least one of which has now changed I believe.