Re: diff-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: diff-mode
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:47:13 -0500

> But then I thought, wouldn't it be possible to show the normal syntax
> highlighting of the given mode and use some background/font style to
> differentiate what's to add/remove?

That would be neat, yes.  Making it work reliably might be difficult,
but a first shot might not be that hard.
Some of the problems:
- the code chunk might be difficult to analyze correctly without its
  context (e.g. the code chunk may start in the middle of
  a comment/string/...).
- for people using the default font-lock settings, it might be difficult
  to find a set of background colors to use for added/removed/changed
  that doesn't make some of the text hard to read.  For people using
  font-lock settings like mine (i.e. mostly all black-on-white, where
  most faces changes the bold/italics rather than the color) OTOH it
  would work fine.  Note that smerge-mode already works similarly, so
  it's not a new problem.

        Stefan