Re: landscape postscript printing

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: landscape postscript printing
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 16:48:07 +0100

Am 18.12.2010 um 15:16 schrieb David Penton:

Could some other setting be interfering?

Of course: The Mac OS X printing system. With Carbon Emacs or Aquamacs Emacs you have an integration into the system's printing system, at least when you print with ⌘-P. I don't know how the ps-print-* commands interact with it, it might be documented. If you haven't discovered this, try it and see what the system can do for you (in Leopard and before you could save different setups and retrieve one of them easily).

The effective values for PS printing can be determined by ps-spooling or ps-printing a first time something. Then you can invoke

        M-x apropos-variable RET ^ps-print-.*$ RET

and the next time

        M-x apropos-variable RET ^ps-.*$ RET

to get the whole list of corresponding variable names. In the resulting *Apropos* buffer you can click with the mouse cursor on the bold variable names to get their values displayed in a *Help* buffer.

I usually use the ps-spool-* commands and save the *PostScript* buffers, sometimes after editing. Try this! This is the (only) way to know exactly what Emacs produces as PostScript output, it should write a line like this quite early into the header:

        %%Orientation: Landscape

I think among the customisation this line is necessary:

         '(ps-landscape-mode t)

Check its existence! And look into the file the variable user-init- file points to! Also try to save the resulting *PostScript* buffer into a PS file and view it with Ghostscript, gv, Preview, Skim – the latter two might fail to display all!

To summarise: First find out what exactly Emacs produces! (Then we can check the OS' printing system.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.