Re: umlaute not recognized

From: LanX
Subject: Re: umlaute not recognized
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 03:05:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi Peter

I have a similar problem, which doesn't disappear with

(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

and my env is set
:~$ env|grep LANG
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
GDM_LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

I have an org file where umlauts are occasionally set to something
like ä or \ddd (d=digit).

Exporting to latex fails for obscure reasons.

describe-coding-system says
----------------
Coding system for saving this buffer:
  1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)

Default coding system (for new files):
  1 -- iso-latin-1-unix (alias: iso-8859-1-unix latin-1-unix)

And the codings system is the same for new files, despite all utf8
settings.

Any ideas?

Cheers
  Rolf