Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Rajinder Yadav
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:30:58 -0500

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 12:00 pm, Rajinder Yadav <devguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i've never had the need to create a makefile or edit one by hand when i
>> code using visualstudio, all i care about is coding my project in C++
>> and getting on with life.
>
> You don't know what a professional IDE is then, and why Emacs isn't up
> to the task.

yes i do, you missed my point

> If you are doing professional C++ development, then you are tweaking
> your project settings all the time.  The VC++ Project Settings dialog
> is just a wrapper on top of a "Makefile" kind-of generator.  What VC++
> does that Emacs doesn't is setting default values which work unless
> you have special requirements.  That's why you felt that all you had
> to care about was coding your project in C++.  Development in Emacs
> does not give such luxury.
>
>> i love ruby on rails hacking, i love doing everything from the command
>> line, it's more faster and efficient coding a rails app when compared to
>> doing it with netbeans + ide, or whatever IDE is out there!
>
> Obviously, for hobbyists, an IDE is overkill.

you're saying ruby on rails is for hobbyists? btw, ide is not an
overkill, it's just you don't need an ide because rails comes with
tools like rake and generators that frankly is faster doing thing at
the command line with a simple text editor and terminal, reason i
choose emacs to code ruby on rails stuff, i started off with IDE like
netbeans but it just didn't feel right (for me, for others it's the
right choice)

> I'd really like this madness of recommending Emacs as an IDE to stop.
> When programmers hadn't anything better than an editor and/or programs
> were simpler, that made sense.  It doesn't make sense anymore.

it's only madness to you, to me its just another choice, how is having
emacs generating a make file even a simple one to get you going a IDE?
now you don't seem to fully understand IDE then =)

rails generates & comes with rake files (like makefiles), its all
command line executed, i don't call rails a IDE, ask any rails hacker,
they won't call it madness either

> Again, this is not a fault of Emacs developers: they are not "selling"
> Emacs as an IDE,  over-enthusiastic user are doing that.  Such users
> are pushing Emacs way beyond what it can handle.

Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1