Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:27:42 +0100

despen@verizon.net writes:

> Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:

>>> There is also cmake otherwise.
>>> The problem is that or
>>> - you learn a bit the autoconf skills you need (doesn't take long)
>>>    and finally write your own build systems
>>> - you'll be stuck forever with what other people (microsoft/cedet)
>>>    thik is a good idea, and normally it isn't
>>>
>>> Using emacs I think it doesn't make any sense to look for tools that
>>> write makefiles for you...
>>

>> Andrea, thanks for your reply!
>>
>> My reply here is not a direct response to you, but what i feel in
>> general (a windows IDE guy in a Linux command line world)
>>
>> I don't quite understand the rational against emacs + auto makefile
>> generation, it kind of hinders progress imho? if someone doesn't like
>> the way emacs or netbean does things (for them) with makefiles, they
>> always have the choice of doing it by hand, that is the beauty of
>> having more choices, so stop taking away my choices if I simply ask or
>> enquire for feature y!
>
> I don't quite understand what these comments are about.
> I keep seeing references to the cedet project and it certainly
> claims to write Makefiles:
>
> http://cedet.sourceforge.net/ede.shtml
>
> Isn't that good enough?
>
> As I said, I don't use code generators and I don't want a
> machine generated Makefile.  I think hand created Makefiles
> are more useful.  That's what makes a world.

Why do you think that? "Useful" is something that helps. How can hand
written ones by "useful". You can always hand write ones : auto
generated ones are "useful" for the 99% of people who dont want to have
to go through the drudgery and mechanics of something as trite as
makefiles and dependency management.

Bottom line : if the feature is there you can ignore it. If its not,
people ignore emacs.