Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Elena
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 05:29:56 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 22, 1:04 pm, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > No need to bring in the bigger guns.  It could just be some scheduled
> > activity by who-knows what package.  If Emacs Lisp had both a tracing
> > and a profiling utility, I would have squashed the bug already.
>
> Never heard of packages scheduling activities, but I might be wrong.
> You should know what external stuff you installed, try to disable some
> stuff and see again.

Same as: "emacs -Q" then eval sexp.  Only problem, my .emacs is more
than 200KB.  I would have liked to modularize it, but Emacs lacking of
IDE-like facilities to navigate Emacs Lisp made me give up that.

> And btw there tracing and debugging step by step works pretty well,
> maybe it's just you not knowing how to use it.
> (check the info page)

What I mean with "tracing":

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c.html#Procedures-related-to-debugging

scroll till the section "trace".

Profiling still lacking, anyway.

> > "emacs -Q" is effective in deciding whether something comes from
> > Emacs' default behavior or from some package.  Once you have decided
> > it must be some package, that's the hairy part where Emacs debugging
> > tools aren't up to the task.  That's why I have said that users have
> > pushed Emacs beyond its capabilities:  IDE, mail-reader... guys, here
> > we have just a simple text editor which doesn't pretend to by anything
> > else.
>
> Last time I had two reboot my machine emacs had an uptime of 55 days.
> In those days I wrote thousands of lines of code, compiled, wrote mails
> with gnus and basically did everything I need to do but twice as fast as
> the IDE guys ;)

Just like me as long as I stay away from Emacs 23.x and stick to 22.3.

> If you really think it's just a simple text editor then
> - stop using it
> - be happy with your wonderful IDE
> - look for another simpler editor
>
> If instead you would like to learn more try to be more constructive to
> spot your problem and to solve future problems.
>
> You should try to solve your problem, and when you get stuck, describe
> the situation and send your questions to the list, I'm sure you'll solve
> it quickly and learning something new.

Done already.  Nobody has been able to help.  Currently Emacs lacks
needed tools.  I'm sticking to Emacs 22, which hangs much less.

I always try to be constructive in helping package maintainers to
track down bugs, but I'm not an advanced user.