Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:12:53 +0100

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> Same as: "emacs -Q" then eval sexp.  Only problem, my .emacs is more
> than 200KB.  I would have liked to modularize it, but Emacs lacking of
> IDE-like facilities to navigate Emacs Lisp made me give up that.

emacs doesn't lack that, you don't know how to use it ;)
C-h f and you can jump to any function you want.
The inline documentation and the ability to trace/try out/see the
implementation of all the elisp functions is wonderful.

With semantic in your elisp file you can jump easily to any
function/variable you want and so on.

And let me understand, your .emacs is more than 200KB but you're not ad
advanced user?
How can that be?

The only explanation is that you copied everything could sound nice
inside and now you have no idea of what could go wrong.
Well if that is the case first you should understand very well what's in
your .emacs.

Mine is only 57Kb after a couple of years of customizations.

> What I mean with "tracing":
>
> http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~gambit/doc/gambit-c.html#Procedures-related-to-debugging
>
> scroll till the section "trace".
>
> Profiling still lacking, anyway.

trace-function?
There are packages also for profiling, but I really don't think it could
help solve your problem since it gets completely stuck (not just slow).

> Done already.  Nobody has been able to help.  Currently Emacs lacks
> needed tools.  I'm sticking to Emacs 22, which hangs much less.
>
> I always try to be constructive in helping package maintainers to
> track down bugs, but I'm not an advanced user.

I think instead you lack needed knowledge instead, otherwise how do you
think that the developers are able to do a wonderful work without those tools?