Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:33:39 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>> But nearly all allow you to configure the tools they use to one extent or
>> another. Eclipse is a VERY customisable IDE. The key is the word
>> "integrated" however.
>
> Indeed, it is the key.  I already mentionned, that emacs was an
> IntegratING Development Environment, while the others were merely
> IntegratED  Development Environments.  It's all the difference.

I honestly feel if cedet worked Emacs would get there. As it is, I gave
up on it. Too many unknowns - I was never sure if it was my config or
cedet which didnt work. That and the stuttering. It also needs better
mixed mode support (nxhtml does a great job meanwhile) and some
"official" direction for Java/Python would be nice : they are here to
stay no matter what one might think of them. Emacs is a programmers
editor ...

But semantic and cedet working out of the box would be a great start :
with .h completion for things like c not being a "oh you want that, I
dont use it " but rather a "turned on by default". Class browsing in
Java an obvious must. Also a simple "turn on auto completion" using
something 3rd party like auto-complete and not another reinvented
wheel. As it is its simply too hard for most people to get working I
think : its the programming config equivalent of getting Gnus working;)

I really believe the more users then the more progress. As it is I see
people jumping ship faster than they are coming aboard. And that bodes
ill for the future.