Re: how to replace old-style backquotes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: how to replace old-style backquotes
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 21:32:23 -0500

>> "(` ...)"  --> "`..."
>> "(, ...)"  --> ",..."
>> "(,@ ...)" --> ",@..."
> Hm, well, I think, yes.  But don't complain at me if there is some
> corner case where that simple rule is not correct.

That's right.  Another way to solve this is to use neither old- nor
new-style and simply use explicit symbol names.  I.e. add backslash
before each comma and backquote:

   (` ...)   -->  (\` ...)

>> Or is it more complex than that?  E.g. does it matter how these are
>> nested
> Well, yes.  Commas are only to be replaced in backquoted forms, but
> since that's the only use anyway...

Actually, while commas are usually only used within backquotes, the `
and , special syntax can also be used for other things than the
backquote macro.

        Stefan