Re: ps-print question

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ps-print question
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:44:43 +0100

Am 31.12.2010 um 15:02 schrieb David Penton:

The variable ps-font-family specifies which font family to use for printing ordinary text. Legitimate values include Courier, Helvetica,NewCenturySchlbk, Palatino and Times.

If your printer or Ghostscript has built-in or knows more (Ghostscript has a file like Fontmap.local or Fontmap.gs) fonts, you can use them.

The restriction to the cited names is based on the fact that a few font families are always supported by PostScript (or PDF). Therefore these fonts do not need to be embedded into the PostScript (or PDF) file, it's sufficient to just reference them. This is also then sufficient when Ghostscript converts the PS output from Emacs into a raster data stream which is then sent to your printer, so that it uses the vector fonts it finds on disk.

This could fail with CUPS. (And I haven't checked how CUPS can be configured to use additional PostScript or TrueType fonts on disk.)

There is mention of using BDF fonts for foreign languages, but I am not sure that is the answer. Also, I am puzzled because I thought Courier had a grave accent anyway.

It has, of course! You can compare all the backquotes in Character Palette. And: Forget BDF!

You have more options when you use htmlize (it understands customised font faces) and then print off the internet browser (htmlize-view.el does that "data transfer"). Mac OS X then should be able to render the pages with any font it knows and is on disk.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Theory and practice are the same, in theory, but, in practice, they are different.