Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux

From: chengiz
Subject: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:21:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I use a Sun Type 6 keyboard on a Redhat machine running Gnome. Here,
by default in gnu emacs, the Alt key mapped to M- and the Meta key was
unmapped.

I want like on my older sun machine, to use the Meta key as M- and Alt
key as A-.

In gnome-keyboard-properties, under Layout Options -> Alt/Win key
behaviour, I set "Meta is mapped to the Win-keys". This resulted in
the Meta key being mapped to M- but the Alt key is still mapped to M-.
How do I map the Alt key to A-?

Thank you.