Re: ps-print question

From: David Penton
Subject: Re: ps-print question
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 16:20:54 -0500

Pete:

Thanks for sending me some sample postscript files.

More developments on my end:

The error generated by ps2pdf when converting a file using added Bitstream fonts as described in an earlier post is caused by the use of the -dSAFER option being passed to ghostscript by ps2pdf and related shell scripts. I made a copy of the script ps2pdfwr (which is ultimately invoked by ps2pdf on my system) and removed the gs command line option -dSAFER. I also removed the -q command line option so that I could get verbose output. My version of the ps2pdfwr script reported that it was loading the Bitstream Vera fonts when converting.

Using my altered version of ps2pdfwr, the conversion from postscript from pdf occurred without reporting any errors. However, the output is still wrong. In the output from ps-print, I am still getting a right single quote instead of a left single quote. As far as I can tell, it is otherwise in the correct Bitstream Vera fond. I suppose the only way to understand this is to dig around in the postscript file.

The left single quote should work. I converted the following postscript using my altered version of ps2pdfwr, and the left single quote come through fine:

/BitstreamVeraSansMono-Roman findfont
15 scalefont
setfont
72 200 moveto
(This is in `Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Roman) show

The problem must be somewhere in the setup postscript generated by ps-print. I am not that expert at postscript, so it will not be easy to figure out. However, in the ps-print generated file, here is the line that actually prints the text with a left single quote:

(This is in `Bitstream Vera Sans Mono Roman)

That is, it is identical to my simple example, but when converted to pdf the ps-print version shows a right single quote in front of the word Bitstream. That's why I think something in the setup part of the ps-print postscript must be causing this.

- Dave -