Re: Functions that need X

From: Cecil Westerhof
Subject: Re: Functions that need X
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:46:39 +0100

Op zaterdag 1 jan 2011 22:58 CET schreef Tim X.:

>> I have a lot of functionality written for my Emacs. I was asked to
>> maintain a server for a friend. I installed Emacs there and put my
>> Emacs functionality there also. But some things are depending on X.
>> Because of this I made those depended working with X. In the start of
>> my .emacs I have:
>> (defconst +using-X+ (getenv "DISPLAY"))
>>

> Alternatively, just use the built-in variable window-system i.e.
>
> (unless (eq 'x window-system)
> ....)
>
> or even better, use one of the display capability predicates, such as
>
> (unless (display-graphic-p)
> ...)

I did not know this. Combining with another tip the code now has
become:
    (when (display-graphic-p)
      (set-scroll-bar-mode 'right)
      (tool-bar-mode -1))

> One of the reasons I no longer use emacs in console mode is because I do
> almost everything on remote systems via tramp these days and very rarely
> need to run a remote emacs.

I work with screen and emacs on this system. The problem is that
sometimes the connection goes away. And if this happens my emacs will
hang. With screen I just can continue where I left of after the
connection is restored.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer