Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functi

From: D Herring
Subject: Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functional language to the level of FORTH ?
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 00:39:34 -0500

On 01/03/2011 11:49 PM, rusi wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:05 pm, Tim Harig<user...@ilthio.net>  wrote:
What hurts the LISP community far more is the zealotry of its members,
their insistance that LISP is the *only* tool for *every* job, and their
agressiveness in trying to push it off on to everybody else -- whether
everybody else happens want it or not.  Whether this is indicitive
of the entire community or simply the result of those most apparent,
I cannot say; but, it leads to the overall impression that the LISP
community is narrowminded and neophobic.  Who would want to be part of
such a community?

Like the dark days of apple, bsd, and linux, there can be some bizarre fanboyism in the lisp community. Geeks are always technical but often not personable.

There are more mundane reasons -- like unsuitability of lisp as a
distribution platform
[See http://www.newartisans.com/about-me.html where John Wiegley
explains why he switched from lisp to C++ for his program ledger ]

First he says "It was originally written in C++, but lately I’ve been porting it to Common Lisp, since I’ve realized how much simpler – and more powerful – many of its aspects will become."

Then there's a cryptic "I found Common Lisp unsuitable as a distribution platform."

Trying not to sound fanboyish, but there are numerous ways to distribute lisp apps. There have been a couple notable improvements in the last year; but several implementations have always offered to spit out an ordinary, standalone executable.

I think many readers in the other cross posted newsgroups have seen similar come-and-go users leave their favorite language.

- Daniel