Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 23:47:59 +0100

Am 04.01.2011 um 18:12 schrieb chengiz:

On Jan 3, 5:53 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
Why do you think the Alt and Meta key modifiers have something to do
with MS Losedos?

Where do I think that?

Because you inserted the link to some  "Windows-Keyboard".

I think the missing piece is what emacs is doing with Alt_L, as in why it is not processing it as A-.
Here's my xmodmap output:
shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71),  Alt_L (0x7d)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Meta_L (0x73),  Meta_R (0x74),  Super_L (0x7f),  Hyper_L
(0x80),  Meta_L (0x9c)
mod5        Mode_switch (0x5d),  ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)
I cant tell what to put in my xmodmaprc to make sure emacs behaves
correctly.

Modifier 5 cannot be Meta, Super, and Hyper altogether.

When you launch GNU Emacs with -Q, without any customisation, does it still interpret Alt as Meta? If so, then my assumption about the parity of the modifiers is wrong and it plays a role that mod1 is Meta and mod2 or mod3 is Alt. Then Hyper and maybe Super can follow, but I think Mode_switch is more important, since it's the compose key, which allows to type ΓΈ as o / etc. Num_Lock can be pretty useless.

In case Alt and Meta work correctly in 'emacs -Q', then something in your or your system's customisation (init files) is exchanging them.

--
Greetings

  Pete

When people run around and around in circles we say they are crazy. When planets do it we say they are orbiting.