Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:58:51 +0100

Larry Kohlman <nospam@nospam.invalid> writes:

> I want a file-browsing dialog box, but I want it to be text-mode so it
> can be used on a raw terminal or inside an xterm. Something roughly like
> dired but that lets the user browse files and directories and only
> returns the path with a selected or entered filename and does absolutely
> nothing else. I know it's out there because I've seen it before, but I
> just can't find the magic command or plugin.

See in anything-config.el `anything-c-read-file-name'.
http://repo.or.cz/w/anything-config.git

You use it like that:

(defun my-file-browser ()
  (let ((fname (anything-c-read-file-name "AnyPrompt: ")))
      (do-what-you-want-on-fname fname)))

It have full support for tramp.
It work on windows and in tty.

For more questions about anything ask on
https://groups.google.com/group/emacs-anything?hl=en

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: