Re: Emacs improvements

From: Thamer Mahmoud
Subject: Re: Emacs improvements
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 22:40:57 +0300

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> Different files appear in different colours (e.g. folders appear in
> blue, *.png appears lightmagenta, *.c appears in bold and HTML
> documents appear with a yellow background.  Text documents and
> fundamental mode documents appear with no decoration at all.

I have recently written a package to achieve just that. It's called
Diredful. Get it from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Diredful

> Pressing return on certain files such as images runs cygstart to
> launch that an appropriate program much like Windows Explorer.

I use a combination of dired-guess-shell-alist-user and mailcap.el (on
Linux). Something like this:

(setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
      (list
       ;; mailcap.el doesn't support double extensions?
       (list "\\.pdf.gz" "run-mailcap *")
       (list "\\.png" "xloadimage *")))

Then running dired-do-shell-command on a file will give you a useful
list of commands to run. This works for me, although mailcap.el doesn't
seamlessly integrate with dired-guess-*, and the mailcap format isn't
very friendly.

HTH

--
Thamer